Sunday 4 March 2007

Bitching

Ive just had a "discussion" with my girlfriends sister. Now I *could* go on a rant here and complain and moan and otherwise bitch about her. But I'm not. I am going to take the high ground on the whole subject and just say that she has my pity. I feel sorry for her.

In other news, Ive been messing round with Linux, Ubuntu to be exact. First I installed the wrong build so I had to uninstall which resulted in messing up windows so I had to repair it. Unfortunately the repair effectively ripped SP2 out of windows rendering IE7 and Media Player 11 as well as other apps useless BUT re-installing SP2 proved to be a minefield as something got messed up with Linux and most of the important components needed for the install vanished.

So with the right version of Ubuntu installed I gave up on windows for the time being only to be confronted by Linux's big failing: If you don't know your commands, your screwed!

Seriously! With windows you get an app or game and all it takes is a double click of a file normally marked "setup" or "Install" and before you know it the install shield takes over and soon enough your messing around with your new bit of software. With Linux there is no easy double clicking (most of the time). With Linux you need to open the terminal box, type in a code to get the software because there's no websites with an easy install file to grab, then when you get it you need another code to run it then another to update it, then another to run it, it just goes on and on!

With windows being screwed I had no real choice but to do a fresh install so barely a month after doing it before I was up to my arms in the windows file directories copying all my music, saved games and all those other little things, such as amusing pictures of innocent toddlers with amazingly offensive t-shirts which are soooo funny, that make my computer what it is. All that was moved (again) onto my back up partition while my c drive was re-formatted and windows put back on.

Then a long night of waiting for the updates to come through again and copying all the stuff back to where its supposed to be at which point I noticed that the dual boot software that kicked in just after Ubuntu was installed no longer works! Now I have a 13gig part of my hard drive that I can't get without re-installing Ubuntu which I'm really not sure is worth the hassle.

Yes it looks nice and yes it does seem faster and prettier than windows but until the REALLY make a version of Linux that an idiot like me can use without blowing up the house I don't think I'll be going back for more.

No comments: